Friday, February 17, 2012

Waffle House


Oh Waffle House…  Waffle House evokes different emotions in different people.  Some people think of greasy truck workers and a “D” health score, some people think of being completely wasted and trying their best to balance hash-browns on their fork, and some people are reminded of a simpler time.  As you may have guessed, I fall into the third category (and sometimes the second).
            Growing up, Waffle House was my dad’s go to restaurant.  My mom wasn’t particularly fond of Waffle House, but it was always perfect for my dad and me.  Whenever my mom was out of town, we didn’t need to ask each other where we were going to eat for dinner, all he would say, “It’s time!”  That was all that he needed to say.  Once we pulled up to the parking lot, I would start telling him about how I was going to finally try the T-bone steak, but I never would.  Sitting in the booth, watching my dad eat country ham and talk about guns he had bought and traded reminded me of a simpler time.  In that moment I was transported to my own little world where I never had to worry about homework or going to work the next day, none of that mattered anymore.  That is what Waffle House means to me.
            Those of you who are still reading this post are probably wondering how this story benefits you.  What I want all of you to do now is to think of a food or a restaurant that takes you back to a simpler time.  Whenever I am stressed out about a big exam or paper, I will make a little trip to Waffle House, sit in a booth and eat an order of hash-browns.  It doesn’t have much to do with Waffle House itself, but the memories.  I encourage all of you to do this food memory exercise and share your memories in the comment section.
Side note: I just got a coupon for a free slice of pie from Waffle House.  Yeah Buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment