Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nawlins


            I have no real way to describe New Orleans.  Its food is reflected in the attitude of its people, both genuine and sassy.  My first New Orleans dish was an alligator po’boy, but it was no ordinary alligator po’boy, it was a smoked alligator sausage po’boy.  This was a perfect way for the smoked flavor to work its way into the alligator without overpowering it, while still providing the fennel flavor we all associate sausage with.  It was served with a Creole remoulade, tomato, lettuce, and pickle.  The only thing that I would have done differently with the sandwich itself is remove the tomato seeds.  The green slimy seeds can be easily removed and significantly subtract from the bitterness of a dish.  Some people, such as my dad, love the green slimy seeds, but I despise them.  The fries that were served with the po’boy were just as simply delicious.  They were thin and had a spice mix similar to that of Tony Chachere’s or Bojangles coating them.  Overall, the dish was fantastic and I can’t wait to go back to Huck Finn’s.
            I cannot decide if the best part of New Orleans is being with people I love, thinking of the food I’ve eaten, or thinking of the food I’m going to eat.  While I do enjoy looking forward to eating everything in the city of New Orleans, the anticipation is killing me.  Tomorrow we are all going to a restaurant called Daisy Dukes.  I am already planning on getting half of a catfish po’boy and a cup of gumbo.  I would also enjoy having some of Café Beignet’s famous beignets.  I believe Tuesday we are all going out and getting a few pounds of boiled crawfish and embarrassing ourselves trying to pry open the little creatures.  I have had them before, but I don’t even remotely remember how to eat one.  Hopefully buying four pounds of them will give me the practice I need to become a professional.  The food here is a little more expensive than I thought it would be, but I guess that’s the price you pay for greatness.  Hopefully I can make it to the many food adventures I have planned and provide a few more reviews soon!  Please let me know if you have any comments, especially if they are suggestions for where to eat in New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment